Friday, April 6, 2007

Who Do You Lean On and Learn From?

Upon you I have leaned from my birth;
it was you who took me from my mother's womb.
My praise is continually of you.
(Psalm 71:6, NRS)

Good Morning,

I discovered Willow Elementary School closed. I attended the Oregon school years ago. The building served a purpose for a season; however, the work of those who served within the building continues on within the lives of the students. My teachers instilled the desire to be a life-learner.

Humanity has been created to learn more. The Spirit of God broadens our understanding. A component of learning is refusing to lean upon our own understanding. Our perspective is limited to our perceived reality and experience. Proverbs 3:5 states:

Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding.
(NKV)

Ultimately prayer is a leaning experience. The Psalmist delineated in prayer that we are created to lean on God rather than upon a self-imposed perspective:

Upon you I have leaned from my birth: God created us to lean into His presence and power from the moment we take the first breath at birth. Leaning (inclining, resting, supporting, propping) is a conscious activity that moves the beloved into the energy, power, and strength of God. In turn, we learn and understand more about ourselves, others, and God. Leaning upon God is a life-learning experience.

It was you who took me from my mother's womb: The Psalmist draws a picture of God, the Deliverer, as having ultimate control. In our humanity, we tend to lean upon our perspective which becomes an obstacle of experiencing the joy of fully trusting God.

My praise is continually of you: Praise God rather than using energy and time upon the pressures and problems. Praising God takes our eyes off ourselves. Praise enables us to lean upon God. In turn, we learn to see beyond ourselves.

Lean on God.
Learn from God.

Learning with you to lean upon God,
Kerrie

(All devotions written by Kerrie Palmer ©2007 All Rights Reserved)