Friday, April 6, 2007

Dream of Deliverance

9 Do not cast me off in the time of old age;
do not forsake me when my strength is spent.
10 For my enemies speak concerning me,
and those who watch for my life consult together.
11 They say, "Pursue and seize that person whom God has forsaken,
for there is no one to deliver."
(Psalm 71:9-11, NRS)

Good Morning,

The U.S. celebrates Martin Luther King, Jr. annually. We will never forget the words, I Have A Dream, delivered in Washington D.C. on the steps at the Lincoln Memorial. In his message, King said:

I have a dream today.
I have a dream that one day
every valley shall be exalted,
every hill and mountain shall be made low,
the rough places will be made plain,
and the crooked places will be made straight,
and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed,
and all flesh shall see it together.
This is our hope.

In an era of civil turbulence and pivotal time, used his text from Isaiah 40:3-5 which promised deliverance. Humanity needs to be reminded of the promise of deliverance from their plight. At one time or another every individual needs to be lifted from the power of their circumstances.

The Psalmist prayed the prayer of one who feels caught in a place of turmoil and fear. Praying this portion of Psalm 71 changes our perspective when we meditate on the truths past King’s referral in Isaiah 40 in verses 28-31.

Do not cast me off in the time of old age; Do not forsake me when my strength is spent: We go to the “everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth” who “gives power to the faint, and strengthens the powerless.” Believers are given the gift to access the active dynamic power of God through prayer, confessing the need to exchange weakness for strength.

For my enemies speak concerning me, and those who watch for my life consult together: We either can react to the world around us or “wait for the LORD” to “renew” our “strength.” There is a divine power given to those who live for the Lord to live beyond the fray. The infused energy comes from outside of ourselves through the Spirit of God.

They say, "Pursue and seize that person whom God has forsaken, for there is no one to deliver: There is One who delivers regardless of the power of the circumstance. The powerful work of Jesus Christ on the cross delivers us from anything that separates us from the plan of God. The prophet Isaiah described the experience of deliverance: “They shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.” To engage with this promise we must consciously surrender our thoughts, actions, and decisions. In turn, our response to circumstances and individuals shifts from oppression to liberation.

The dream of deliverance is a reality.
Celebrate the reality of liberation every day.

Learning with you to celebrate the reality of deliverance,
Kerrie

(All devotions written by Kerrie Palmer ©2007 All Rights Reserved)