Friday, April 6, 2007

The Place of Refuge

In you, O LORD,
I take refuge;
let me never be put to shame.
In your righteousness deliver me
and rescue me;
incline your ear to me
and save me.
(Psalm 71:1-2, NRS)



My friend finished a day of surgery and now will wait for the pathologist’s report.

Prayer is a necessary activity in the period of waiting.
Prayer provides a place of refuge. The Psalmist prayed:

In you, O LORD: Prayer moves us to make a conscious decision to surrender in trust of the Lord through the guidance of the Spirit.

I take refuge: In the ancient days, refuge cities were established to protect people, providing justice.

Prayer moves us into the place of protection and justice.

Let me never be put to shame: Sin and guilt are rooted in shame, which produces the sense of defeat and nothingness.

Prayer moves us to exchange shame for peace and confidence through the power of Christ.

In your righteousness deliver me: God is continually and eternally righteous, good, and holy.

Prayer moves thoughts, actions, and beliefs into alignment with the righteousness of God.

And rescue me: When we are rescued from earthly distractions we are enabled to be fulfilled through serving God in any and all circumstances.

Prayer moves us away from the things that separate us from completing the plan of God.

Incline your ear to me: Draw near to the heart of God.

Prayer produces the belief that God listens.

And save me: God saves us from the all consuming pressures and problems of the world.

Prayer is a transforming process.

Learning with you to move into the place of refuge through prayer,
Kerrie

(All devotions written by Kerrie Palmer ©2007 All Rights Reserved)