Saturday, April 7, 2007

Living Out Loud

For I live in eager expectation and hope
that I will never do anything that causes me shame,
but that I will always be bold for Christ,
as I have been in the past,
and that my life will always honor Christ,
whether I live or I die.
(Philippians 1:20, NLT)

Good Morning,

On my drive home last night, I stopped for a woman to walk across the street. She stopped in the middle of the road to search for something in her purse. A driver, behind me, honked the horn. The woman did not pay attention to us. Instead, she pulled out a cell phone from her purse and proceeded to talk on it without moving. I waited while the woman talked and the driver behind me honked.

Finally, the woman finished her discussion on the phone, dropped her phone back into her purse, and crossed the street. The actions of the phone talking pedestrian and honking driver revealed something about themselves. They were living out loud.

The Apostle Paul discussed the way he wanted to live out loud in Philippians 1:

For I live in eager expectation and hope that I will never do anything that causes me shame: Paul developed an intense focus on the presence of Christ Jesus. He explained his intensity as a continual eager expectation and hope, which overpowered other components of living. This is faith lived out loud.

But that I will always be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past: Paul desired to be continually bold for Christ. This is passion lived out loud.

And that my life will always honor Christ, whether I live or I die: Christ became the priority of living for Paul. Christ filled his thoughts, words, and actions, which he described in Galatians 2:20, “Not I, but Christ.” This is authenticity lived out loud.


Learning with you to live out loud for Christ,
Kerrie

(All devotions written by Kerrie Palmer ©2007 All Rights Reserved)