Friday, April 6, 2007

The Substance of Your Thoughts

O God, do not be far from me; O my God, make haste to help me!
Let my accusers be put to shame and consumed; let those who seek to hurt me be covered with scorn and disgrace.
But I will hope continually, and will praise you yet more and more.
(Psalm 71:12-14, NRS)

Good Morning,

I drove by an older home in an inner city neighborhood. Someone had placed a homemade sign in the front yard articulating oppressed and depressed thoughts:

Please don’t rob me.
My husband just died.

The New Testament Greek word for mindset is “phronema,” which describes the substance of the thoughts that form into a pattern of thinking. Through the Spirit of God our pattern of thinking can be reformatted. The Psalmist delineated the difficulties presented by the enemy of life; however, the Psalmist prayerfully confessed a mindset of hope and praise:

O God, do not be far from me: Our circumstances may ignite the feeling that God is far away; however, God is Immanuel. God is with us. Think on the power of knowing God is always with you.

O my God, make haste to help me: We are given access to ask God to come help us. Nothing compares with the divine help of God. The power of God’s help is not understood until an individual authentically needs help and asks for His help. Think on the power of receiving God’s help.

Let my accusers be put to shame and consumed; let those who seek to hurt me be covered with scorn and disgrace: Satan is the accuser of our life. He accuses of being unworthy and unable to live life adequately. The Spirit of God shields our mind from accepting accusations. Think on the power of forming a mindset beyond the accusations of the enemy of life.

But I will hope continually: Hope and hopelessness never co-exist. Those who put their hope in God rather than their circumstances will live in peace and joy despite difficult, desperate, and dark circumstances. Hopeful thinking changes our behavior and response to daily living. Think on the value of continually hoping in the Lord.

And will praise you yet more and more: Praise produces expectancy within our soul. Praise also renews and regenerates our thought process, strengthening us to face daily circumstances. Accordingly, praise produces a celebrative daily attitude. Think on having the ability to rise above the oppression of the world through praising God.

Evaluate the substance of your thoughts.

Ask the Spirit of God to reformat your thoughts on a daily basis.
Seek to center the substance of your thoughts upon God.

Learning with you to have a mind set upon God,
Kerrie

(All devotions written by Kerrie Palmer ©2007 All Rights Reserved)