Tuesday, May 8, 2007

The Risk of Faith

. . . And now that I am away you must be even more careful to put into action God's saving work in your lives. . .
(Philippians 2:12b, NLT)


Good Morning!

Timothy has less than a month left to play high school baseball; however, after all these years, I have not mastered my anxiety when Timothy steals a base. Apparently, it is fun to take the risk and run to the next base. I know that the coach directs him to take the risk and run to the next base. And, I know the coach, determined to bring Timothy safely home, sees the bigger picture. Even so . . . my heart rate increases and my breathing stops as I watch Timothy take the risk and run towards the next base.

Risk is a component of living with active faith. Those who have active faith move forward, refusing to be stuck in a rut of living. The definition of living in faith is found in Hebrews: “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen” (11:1, NKJ). The Apostle Paul wrote about living in faith to the ancient church in his letter to the Philippians:
And now that I am away you must be even more careful to put into action God's saving work in your lives. . .
Putting the saving work of God into action energizes and empowers individuals to risk living in faith.

Take a risk today:
Ask the Spirit to energize and empower you through the saving work of God.
Refuse to be stuck in a rut of living.
Remember God sees the bigger picture.
Trust God to show you the pathway to move forward.
Believe God will direct and guide you.
Take the risk and live in faith, “the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”
Learning with you to take the risk of living in faith,
Kerrie
(All devotions written by Kerrie Palmer ©2007 All Rights Reserved)