Monday, January 28, 2008

It's All Good

Then Elijah cried out to the LORD,
"O LORD my God,
why have you brought tragedy on this widow
who has opened her home to me,
causing her son to die?"
(I Kings 17:20, NLT).


I saw a Studebaker Pickup yesterday. Actually, before I go on with this story . . . some of you will need to google Studebaker . . . you will have no idea what I am talking about . . . and please do not attempt the feat I am about to tell you at home or anywhere else . . . lastly . . . Mom . . . when you read this remember I am fine . . . this occurred a long, long time ago.

So . . . the sighting of the Studebaker Pickup reminded me of the days when my cousins and I would pile into the back of Grandpa's old Studebaker Pickup. We would hold on to the rope tied to the cab of the truck, lean back and let the wind rush against us as Grandpa drove through the dusty roads of the countryside. It's all good . . . memories of simpler times . . . are remembered as good.

Is it possible to see the good in the tough times of life?

The Bible records the desperation of Elijah calling out to God when the widow's son died. While it is difficult to imagine anyone seeing the good in such desperate times, I would say that the good in the situation occurred when Elijah drew near to God. Elijah experienced a great need and brought it to God.

Prayer provides life-giving communion with the Spirit of God as we seek His divine perspective, power, and peace. Prayer transforms the one who prays. While we may think that life should be evaluated through our circumstances, the quality of life is measured through our response to circumstances. The good to be found in the horrific circumstance of the boy dying can be found through Elijah turning to God.

When it comes down to it . . . prayer can be explained much like the Studebaker Pickup ride . . . hold on to hope, lean back into the heart of God, and let the fresh wind of the Spirit free you of the constraints of life.

Measure life through your response rather than your circumstances.
Pray.
Surrender the details.
Hold onto hope.
Lean back into the heart of God.
Experience the fresh wind of the Spirit.
It's all good.

Learning with to you to see it's all good,
Shalom,
Kerrie
(All devotions written by Kerrie Palmer ©2008 All Rights Reserved)