Thursday, January 10, 2008

Do you see little or more?

"As surely as the LORD your God lives," she replied, "I don't have any bread-only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. I am gathering a few sticks to take home and make a meal for myself and my son, that we may eat it-and die." (I Kings 17: 12, NLT).


My friend has spent this week by her grandmother's bedside. Those who invest their time with someone that has little time left on earth are what I call ushers. An usher helps someone to close the door on this side of life to move to the other side. Along the way . . . the usher glimpses something more . . . change . . . transformation . . . through the power, peace, and presence of God.

The widow did not see anything but her meager existence. It must of seemed crazy to think that there was something more for the widow to experience. After all, they were in a famine and drought.

How can we believe that there is something more than what we are experiencing now?
The first step is to be willing to be freed from a limited perspective and a defeatist attitude. The Psalmist prayed to be free:
Set me free from my prison,
that I may praise your name.
Psalm 142:7 (New International Version)

Choose to see more.
Be set free from a limited perspective.
Be set free from defeatist attitude.
Be free.
Seek to go higher.
Soar.

Learning with you to see more,
Shalom,
Kerrie
(All devotions written by Kerrie Palmer ©2008 All Rights Reserved)