Thursday, August 28, 2008

Why do I do what I do?

Question to meditate on today: Am I effective?

The bride will go where the bridegroom is. A bridegroom's friend rejoices with him. I am the bridegroom's friend, and I am filled with joy at his success. (John 3:29, NLT)

Most people I know are too busy . . . too scheduled . . . too tired. One thing that I am learning is that we often mistake busyness for effectiveness. Most of the time busyness is . . . well . . . busyness.

How do we exchange busyness for effectiveness?

John had the simple answer. He likened himself to the bride, saying that the bride goes where the bridegroom, Christ, is. His purpose was clear: do the work of God. The rest was not his concern. Who does that? I mean who really stays that focused? It seems to me, that it is only possible when we hold nothing back, loving Christ with everything we got! Nothing is held back or hidden, everything is given through a love that just won't stop.

That kind of love takes intention and attention all the time:
And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require of you? He requires you to fear him, to live according to his will, to love and worship him with all your heart and soul (Deuteronomy 10:12, NLT).

Every day we need to reactivate and:
Fear: Be in awe of God . . . understand God offers us the daily opportunity to be in an active, ongoing, participating relationship.

Live according to his will: Do what Christ, God with us, showed us to do.

Love: God holds nothing back . . . everything has been given for humanity to receive the complete and full love of God. Receive the love. Return the love, completely and fully with everything you got.

Worship: Pay attention to God. Be so engaged that you are constantly in a worship state . . . God you are more than enough . . . You are all in all . . . You are everything . . . I want to go where you are going today . . . do what you are doing.

Ask: Why do I do what I do?
Are you busy or are you effective?
Do you do what you do out of love for God or because you feel you have to do it?
Hold nothing back.
Fully engage with Christ.
Do what Christ is doing.
Receive joy in knowing you have participated in the work of God . . . how cool is that?

Learning with you to be effective,
Shalom,
Kerrie
(All devotions written by Kerrie Palmer ©2008 All Rights Reserved)