Monday, February 2, 2009

Where is God?

Question to think about: Is God present?

The problems and pressures of life can seem too hard.
"It seemed like everything was going okay . . . and then . . ."
"I am too tired . . . I can't deal with this."
"How can I go on?"
"I am done."
"I quit."
"Where is God?"

How do we keep on going when life becomes too hard? I have learned the hard way . . . that I must stop . . . stop struggling . . . stop trying . . . stop.
And . . . focus on God . . . inviting God into every detail . . . every decision . . . every thought . . . word . . . and action.

Look at what happened when the people discovered that God was missing in their life:
And when they found Him on the other side of the lake, they said to Him, Rabbi! When did You come here? (John 6:25, Amplified)

It took time for the people to miss God, a common dilemma for humanity.

The pressures of life often push us from the presence of God.
Usually moving away from God is a process . . . it occurs little by little.
We know God is present;
however, we fail to be actively engaged with God.
Then, one day we wake up and realize
we are focused on pressures and problems
rather than on the presence of God.
We push God out of the picture.

Life doesn't make sense when we live it on our own.
We desperately need to invite God into our thoughts, words, and actions. It is one thing to have good intentions to be closer to God; it is another thing to go to God and engage with the presence . . . power . . . and peace of God.

The thing is, difficulties are not a sign that God has left us . . .
but a time to evaluate our life . . .
to determine if we have invited God to be fully present . . .
if we are actively engaged with God . . . .
trusting that
God will not leave us.

Jesus said: "I'm telling you these things while I'm still living with you. The Friend, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send at my request, will make everything plain to you. He will remind you of all the things I have told you. I'm leaving you well and whole. That's my parting gift to you. Peace. I don't leave you the way you're used to being left—feeling abandoned, bereft. So don't be upset. Don't be distraught." (John 14:25-27< The Message)

Learning with you to be careful not to push God out of life,
Shalom,
Kerrie
(All devotions written by Kerrie Palmer ©2009 All Rights Reserved)