Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Egg Comes Before The Chicken

Jesus asked him, "Do you believe all this just because I told you I had seen you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than this." (John 1:50, NLT).

Jesus asked him, "Do you believe all this just because I told you I had seen you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than this." (John 1:50, NLT).

It all started with an egg . . . followed by a llama . . . and now . . . a chicken. The first time I noticed the egg occurred while our business administrator came to talk to me in my office. As he talked, I noticed a big turquoise and yellow wax egg perched on one of my bookshelves right above his head. I could not process what he was saying; the egg took my attention away from the conversation.

A few weeks later, a glass llama appeared on another shelf in my office . . . and then just last week . . . a wooden red and yellow chicken. The undercover comedians have put laughter in my day and I am not going to lie . . . it makes for great conversation. Yikes, I must admit curiosity is a driving force in me. That said, I would love to reciprocate the fun, so, I have determined to get to the bottom of the comical mystery.

Looking forward to something, even if it is something relatively insignificant, creates energy within us to live beyond the daily grind.

Can you imagine the energy and excitement that people experienced in conversing with Jesus? Out of all the conversations Jesus had, John chose to include the conversation with Nathanael in his writing. Don't you wonder if there was a little humor thrown in . . . seeing you under the fig tree is not that big of deal; there are greater things to come. Most of us would be like Nathanael, struggling to process the words of Jesus. It had to be difficult to comprehend how Jesus had been able to see him. Even so, Jesus communicated the event was something relatively insignificant compared to what would occur.

Jesus said, "You will see greater things than this."

The energizing faith that Jesus asked Nathanael to develop through belief of greater things to come is the same energetic faith for Christ followers to develop in this era.
What is faith? It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot yet see. (Hebrews 11:1, NLT)

Energize your faith.
Take time to be aware of Jesus Christ.
Seek the "greater things" of life through the presence and power of Christ.

(PS In case you were wondering, the age old question has been answered: the egg does come before the chicken.)

Learning with you to live with energized faith,
Shalom,
Kerrie
(All devotions written by Kerrie Palmer ©2008 All Rights Reserved)