Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Remember Today

Then those who were sent by the Pharisees asked him, "If you aren't the Messiah or Elijah or the Prophet, what right do you have to baptize?"
John told them, "I baptize with water, but right here in the crowd is someone you do not know, who will soon begin his ministry. I am not even worthy to be his slave (John 1: 24-27, NLT)."


Most people were celebrating the unofficial beginning of summer on Memorial Day; however, the day was set aside to remember the individuals that have died, specifically those who have served the nation. I drove by one cemetery that had been filled with flowers. It was a message to me that the value of life needs to be remembered.

John used the word, slave, in the gospel. Referring to slavery was a familiar part of the faith language of the Old Testament. Generation after generation were reminded that God had set them free from tyranny and oppression of slavery. A significant portion of the population were slaves. Later on, Aristotle would explain a slave to be a human tool.

The people learned to recite the stories of being freed from slavery. They remembered the celebrative song of freedom: The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my victory. He is my God, and I will praise him; he is my father's God, and I will exalt him! (Exodus 15:2, NRS)

John the Baptist said, "I am not even worthy to be his slave." Likewise, we are not worthy to be freed by Christ. Yet . . . He came to free us of the things that oppress and enslave us . . . through grace . . . undeserved and unmerited.


Break free of circumstances through the grace of Christ Jesus.
Remember today that you are free.
Let Christ be your strength, song, and victory today.
Take a break, remember today that you are free to live with purpose and passion . . . celebrate . . . you are free!

Learning with you to remember today,
Shalom,
Kerrie
(All devotions written by Kerrie Palmer ©2008 All Rights Reserved)