Monday, April 28, 2008

A Space For Quietness

"The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him" (Lamentations 3:24, NRS).

It has been over a week since I wrote devotions. Sometimes we have to let go of something for a segment of time to create space for quietness. I needed quietness and rest in the midst of a fast-paced schedule. You and I need a daily sacred space to be quiet and rest in the presence of God.

The human mind and heart needs release from the pressures of the day to remain healthy. Transformation occurs when we shut everything out in a space of time to purposefully focus on God. Our state of mind and attitude are quieted when we enter into a sacred meeting with God.

The Lamentations writer explained that the human soul finds life through God: "The Lord is my portion."
One of my mentors often referenced this Lamentations passage with Isaiah 30:15: "In returning and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and in trust shall be your strength.”

Quiet and rest are found in the presence of God. The thing is, God will not rush or hurry us along. God assures us, bringing us confidence through quietness and rest. The mind and heart are given rest from the daily pressures in the quietness of the sacred meeting.

Determine to create space in your day for quietness.
Choose to have a sacred meeting with God.
Let your mind and heart be quieted.
Rest in the presence of God.
Relax.

Learning with you to make a space for quietness,
Shalom,
Kerrie
(All devotions written by Kerrie Palmer ©2008 All Rights Reserved)