Friday, April 4, 2008

Crashed

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Matthew 6:21, NIV)

My computer crashed early in the morning on April 3rd, which happens to be my birthday. I was using a program that evidently does not have the best rating, which I had not been told until my computer crashed . . . so happy birthday to me. Seriously, there should be a warning label put on computers.

Warning: This computer may crash at any given time, day or night, consuming your time and creating havoc in your life.

Eventually, I realized that it was time to refocus. Too often we become consumed with the drama of the day rather than the One who has made the day.

Is our attention drawn to the details that impact us or the presence of God?
Have we connected with the presence of God?

God desires for us to know His presence, to participate in His presence, and to be transformed by His presence. Christ, God with us, said that what we focus on, our treasure, reveals what really matters to us . . . what defines our life.

So, how do we connect with the presence of God and focus on God when the tensions and pressures of circumstances are challenging or overwhelming?


The writer of Lamentations reflects on the depressing and overpowering sense of despair that the people were going through; however, the author says there is a way to get through it and receive peace:
I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall.
I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me.
Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:
Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."
The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him;it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD. (Lamentations 3:19-26)


I have focused on this scripture quite often in my life and want to unpack this next week. For today . . . look at the one little phrase . . . therefore I will wait for him.
Waiting is trust. Waiting restores. Waiting frees. Wait and know the presence of God.

Learning with you to wait rather than to crash,
Shalom,
Kerrie
(All devotions written by Kerrie Palmer ©2008 All Rights Reserved)