Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Shoulds

Question to think about: What are the "shoulds" in your life?

An individual tried to convince me that I should have new and improved rain gutters. Apparently, I should have them. Yet, another individual, thought I should have a new coffee maker. Apparently, I should have one. One of my professors thought I should write a specific paper. Apparently, I should write it. The more I think about it. . . there are a lot of "shoulds" in this world.
What are your shoulds?
What should you have in your possession?
What should you do?
What should you say?
What should you feel?

No one escapes the "shoulds" of life. The Jewish leaders had a list of "shoulds" for the Sabbath that Christ did not follow: So the Jewish leaders began harassing Jesus for breaking the Sabbath rules.
John 5:16, NLT)

They missed the point. The Jewish leaders had designed a set of rules that limited them in their relationship with God. "Shoulds" are constraining. We are not created to live under the burden of "shoulds" but to be free through the presence and peace of Christ. Even so, we often get caught up in the "shoulds." Christ invites us to live free of the "shoulds" through living beyond the restraints of circumstances in the power of the Spirit:
So Christ has really set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don't get tied up again in slavery to the law. (Galatians 5:1, NLT)

The thing is, Christ did not come to force us to live by rules but to live in relationship with God.
Seek freedom through Christ.
Refuse to be constrained or ruled by the "shoulds."
Live as you have been created to live: free in the Spirit.


Learning with you to be free,
Shalom,
Kerrie
(All devotions written by Kerrie Palmer ©2008 All Rights Reserved)