Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Power of Fear

Question to think about: Are you experiencing fear?

Lately, I have been in several discussions with people who have great fear regarding America's future and what the future means to the average individual . . . you and I. Fear has a lot of power . . . and it is highly contagious. Fear is at the root of anxiety, stress, anger, depression and anything that takes away peace. In my opinion, media and politicians know that fear can be used to their advantage. It is a weapon of persuasion.
Fear produces conflict within our mind, body, soul and with one another. Peace is the absence of conflict.

We need to take a step back:
Breathe.
Be aware of the tension that the fear is creating in your mind, body, and soul.
Breathe.
Surrender fear to God: "I surrender the fear in my thoughts . . . in my attitude . . . in my words . . . in my body . . . in my soul. God I don't want to be ruled by fear . . . I want to live in Your peace."
Receive the peace of God. Peace is a gift from God, producing healing and wholeness:

I will lie down in peace and sleep, for you alone, O LORD, will keep me safe. (Psalm 4:8, NLT)
The LORD gives his people strength. The LORD blesses them with peace. (Psalm 4:8, NLT)
For a child is born to us, a son is given to us. And the government will rest on his shoulders. These will be his royal titles: Wonderful Counselor,Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6, NLT)
You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, whose thoughts are fixed on you! (Isaiah 26:3, NLT)
Because of God's tender mercy, the light from heaven is about to break upon us,
to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace." (Luke 1:78-79, NLT)

He spoke to them again and said, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you." (John 20:21, NLT)

A woman changed after encountering Christ. People desperately wanted to have what she had received in her life:

Many Samaritans from the village believed in Jesus because the woman had said, "He told me everything I ever did!" When they came out to see him, they begged him to stay at their village. So he stayed for two days, long enough for many of them to hear his message and believe. (John 4:39-41, NRS)

The woman had received life . . . she had been in the presence of Christ . . . and experienced complete peace.

True peace has nothing to do with our circumstances but with Christ.
Receive and be in the peace of Christ today.

Learning with you to live in the peace of Christ.
Shalom,
Kerrie
(All devotions written by Kerrie Palmer ©2008 All Rights Reserved)