Wednesday, February 13, 2008

How Are You Identified?

"Yes, it is," Elijah replied. "Now go and tell your master I am here." (I Kings 1:8, NLT)

Tim’s friend did not carry identification. When he died the attending officers needed official identification. He was identified by the small tattoo on his ankle that simply said, “Alive in Christ.” Isn’t that powerful?

I want to be identified as being alive in Christ. Too many people say they are following Christ but live without joy, peace, or love. In effect, these individuals are the walking dead, going through the motions without identifying with Life.

Elijah was identified as a prophet of God. Obadiah not only recognized him, but was told to reveal Elijah’s identity to the evil-king. Elijah knew who he was . . . he understood his life through relationship with God.

Our life is transformed when we define our identity through a relationship with God. We move from a lifeless, dead existence to real living through the life of Christ.

The Apostle Paul explained his identity in I Corinthians:
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them-- yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. (15:10, NIV).


His identity was found through the grace of God. “By the grace of God . . . I am what I am.”
Identity through the grace of God . . . changes how we see ourselves.
Identity through the grace of God . . . is not about what we possess or about our position or about power we have attained, but about the grace of God residing within our whole being.
Identity through the grace of God . . . gives us access to do anything we are asked to do without excuse for our perceived lack of ability, experience, or resources.

Consider your identity through the grace of God.
Develop your identity through the grace of God.
Respond to life through your identity: “By the grace of God . . . I am what I am.”

Learning with you to be identified through the grace of God,
Shalom,
Kerrie
(All devotions written by Kerrie Palmer ©2008 All Rights Reserved)