Friday, November 14, 2008

Sweating Over The Small Stuff!

Question to think about: What is the point?

Sometimes I think we try too hard. During a discussion, a friend reminded our group: "Don't sweat the small stuff." It really is great advice that can't be any clearer. When you get down to it . . . the things we make a big deal over usually reveal what we personally need to work through internally in order to experience life to the fullest.

How do we let go of the "small stuff" to gain clarity of what is really important?

Jesus explained:
"But my purpose is not to get your vote, and not to appeal to mere human testimony. I'm speaking to you this way so that you will be saved. John was a torch, blazing and bright, and you were glad enough to dance for an hour or so in his bright light. But the witness that really confirms me far exceeds John's witness. It's the work the Father gave me to complete. These very tasks, as I go about completing them, confirm that the Father, in fact, sent me. The Father who sent me, confirmed me. And you missed it. You never heard his voice, you never saw his appearance. There is nothing left in your memory of his Message because you do not take his Messenger seriously. (John 34-38, The Message)

At the end of the day, when all is said and done, we can relax knowing that the point of everything we face is the presence of Christ. How do we know Christ is present? Peace. Peace is the key.

Jesus said: Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid. (John 14: 27, NAB)

Are you burdened? Are you sweating over the small stuff? Is your mind on overload . . . do you find yourself replaying details of an incident, a problem, an expectation, a need, or something that has distressed you?
Surrender.
Refuse to sweat the small stuff.
Realize that the point of everything in our life is to revolve around the presence of Christ.
Invite Christ, God with us, to be present in your thoughts, feelings, words, and actions.
Receive the peace of Christ's presence . . . know the power of Shalom . . . well-being . . . God is with you . . . all is well.

Learning with you to refuse to sweat the small stuff.
Shalom,
Kerrie
(All devotions written by Kerrie Palmer ©2008 All Rights Reserved)